Sunday, July 29, 2012

Bachelor Mountain 5953' (07-29-12)

Father/Son summit of Bachelor Mountain

I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and take my son out for a  hike. While looking on SummitPost I found this short hike that offered plenty of reward for little effort. The dirt road up features views from Mt. Adams down to Broken Top.

Zack and the snags

While this is a relatively easy hike, it was hard pacing myself to match my sons pace. He isn't nearly as accustomed to trail slogging as I am, especially when I am on flat terrain. Part way up you get into an old burn area with snags and a clearing. This would be a great place for a picnic or even an overnight stay (if you wanted).


Bachelor Mountain Trail sign

 After a short while past the clearing you come to a fork in the road. Stay left at the well marked sign, which is trail no. 420. Even though the SummitPost page says the trail is maintained I found myself ducking under branches and trampling over quite a bit of weeds and grass. A few times I had to hold the grass down so Zack could get through it.





Zack on some loose rock on Bachelor Mountain

 Having made it through the thicker forest area of the trail we came upon some nice loose rock to scramble over. The path was pretty well maintained but I stayed close to my son since I didn't want him falling.






We had a nice lunch on the summit, albeit a fast one, due to the horseflies that were bothering us. We even found what looked like an old indian petroglyph of a deer near the summit. We left it in hopes that it was real. The way back down was pretty uneventful. Zack started complaining about his legs but we kept on. Stopped for some ice cream in Idahna on the way back home.

Coffin Mountain and Lookout from the Bachelor Mountain trail.

View South from Bachelor Mountain



Final Stats:

Summit: Yes
Elevation Gain: 1100'
Round Trip Distance: 4 miles
Round Trip Time: 2-3 hours (Normally 1.5hours)




No comments:

Post a Comment